Thursday, February 10, 2005


Ristra and White Window (part 2) - Santa Fe, NM © 1998

The story behind this shot has not so much to do with when and where it was shot, but with what happened afterwards. I was preparing a "coffee table" book for use at home and wanted to use this image. However, the aspect ratio of the template I was using did not match my original photo. I compensated by turning a 5 x 3 pane window into a 4 x 3 pane window (see the real original in the image above this one). Does this digital alteration cross the line from enhancement to that of potential fraud?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Interesting question! It might depend on how you display the photo. If it's part of an abstract collection, or only for your own family's private viewing, I don't see a problem. If it's more public, or a souvenir/record of a trip in which you identify the location...then I don't know!

I suppose you could acknowledge the alteration as part of your display...but then folks might wonder. (doncha just hate it when the aspect/composition doesn't work?)

Awesome job on the alteration, BTW...I haven't a clue how to do that sort of thing. (maybe that's good! ;-) )

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home